Sunday, August 19, 2012

Jehovah Jireh - God Our Provider

Today part of my daily devotion was Genesis 20-22. I have read that story countless times, but something about it today just resonated with me.  The part that really made me reflect was Genesis 21:10
"So she turned to Abraham and demanded, "Get rid of that servant and her son. He is not going to share in the family inheritance with my son, Isaac. I won't have it!"

We know that Sarah had some trust and faith issues with God when it came to conceiving. Quite some time had passed and she still hadn't conceived, so Sarah took it upon herself to create an heir through Hagar. That clearly was not God's plan. She succumbed to impatience and that impatience weakened her faith and trust in God. Doubting her Heavenly Father, she took matters into her own hands and looked to someone else to be her provider.

Maybe she thought she was to assist in the process.  Maybe she gave up entirely. In any case, she tampered with the promise God gave her. I am sure that God was looking down at Sarah, with a pregnant Hagar nearby, just shaking His head.

I can almost hear God's one way conversation, "WHAAAT are you doing???" or "This is not what I had planned for you!" or maybe he just started shaking his head and with a frown on his face and his eyebrows deeply furrowed, uttered, "Mmm-mmm-mmm."

Sarah compromised God's plan by taking matters into her own hands and relied on someone else to be her provider. Imagine her surprise when one day she found herself pregnant. I wonder if she had an "Uh-oh moment." I wonder if she went through the nine months asking herself, "What have I done?"

During Isaac's first birthday she discovered her predicament with Hagar and realized a little too late her error in not looking to and trusting God to deliver on His promise. Now Hagar wasn't exactly being the humble handmaiden - she only aggravated matters, but Sarah went to Abraham and demanded he get rid of her and Ishmael. Can you hear her stomping her foot, "I won't have it!"

What a painful move for Abraham, Hagar and Ishmael. And although her attitude toward Sarah was less than pleasing to God, He did not ignore her. When she was at her end in the desert with Ishmael, God gave Ishmael a blessing of his own. However, God, being the God of grace and mercy delivered on the promise He made to Abraham and Sarah by not only providing an heir of their own but by making a covenant with Abraham, which He renewed with his son, Isaac and grandson, Jacob.

What predicament do you find yourself in today because you didn't trust God with the provision? Will you trust Him today? Will you trust Him with a "no" or "yes" or "Not right now?" If you do find yourself in a predicament, will you trust God to work it out for good?  He will if you love Him. Romans 8:28

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your word today. You are Jehovah Jireh and I can trust you to meet all our needs. Help me to discern the noes from the yeses and accept them as divine wisdom from you, Abba Father. When I find myself in doubt and unbelief, will you please help my unbelief? And when I act on my own, please accept my repentance and help me not to miss the lesson in it.

In Jesus' Name. Amen



2 friends said...:

  1. Hi Monica,

    Just a little note to let you know I was thinking about you....I just love this devotional...it really speaks to me today!!

    Thanks for your friendship,
    Love always,
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, my friend. I'm always thinking of you as well! Love your emails. Your friendship blesses me!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...