Thursday, April 12, 2012

Journaling - Reflecting On Our Body


And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect from the eyes of others those parts that should not be seen, while other parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together in such a way that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity.  1 Cor 12:23-24 NLT

And those parts of the body which we consider rather ignoble are [the very parts] which we invest with additional honor, and our unseemly parts and those unsuitable for exposure are treated with seemliness (modest and decorum), which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so adjusted (mingled, harmonized, and subtly proportioned the parts of) the whole body, giving the greater honor and richer endowment to the inferior parts which lack [apparent importance] 1 Cor 12: 23-24 Amplified version

This was part of my Bible reading one day and it resonated deeply with me and I felt that I had to share it. In the previous passages Paul is talking about the body of Christ.. that is... the church body of Christ and its importance to each of us. God has given us all gifts. He has equipped us to serve each other in our area of influence with those gifts and to do it with love.

There is a person in my area of influence whom I've been avoiding for a long time. I don't appreciate how this person speaks to me. Their voice is thunderous and obnoxious. They are often rude and ill-mannered. One day this person even went so far as to strike me with their cane to get my attention - they had forgotten my name was the excuse.  I know that this person comes from the most horrifying background and while I take that into great consideration, I still believe that one can learn manners. And since this person has chosen not to learn any, or perhaps use the,  I have avoided them. Is there someone in your life that you might treat with indifference or rebuff when they come near you? Look at the next few pictures...what are your initial thoughts...be honest with yourself.










How about the words attractive, beautiful, precious, priceless, beloved, highly favored? Probably not at first, huh? Is it more like, "Oh my!, Oh geez!, Good grief!"

Now, I'm going to go down a less dignified route and I pray you'll bear with me, as I do have a point to make. Let's think of our bodies for a moment. Admittedly, there are some parts of our body that we hide from our eyes.We consider them ignoble. They are less attractive and they are body parts that can be offensive. We certainly don't discuss them. In fact, we are very private with them. We ignore them, paying very little mind to them at all until they must perform their unpleasant duty or they start to cause problems...and yet we are very secretive about even that.

Well, the body of Christ is much like that, isn't it so?  There are people around us who we might find displeasing, disagreeable and even repugnant. We socialize very little with them, we hardly pay them any mind treating them like a pair of old shoes. We will use them if we absolutely must or if we don't want to ruin the better pair. When they start making their way toward us our thoughts might be "Oh, dear!" or "Oh, geez..." This is where the Holy Spirit convicted me.

Rather than respond with dread, we need to respond in love and with greater honor and care, particularly if they are less dignified.  You see, those less dignified people in our lives that we try to ignore are much like those aforementioned body parts. One body part has been given the richer endowment because it has the potential to create a new life. Another (for us women) has the ability to sustain and nourish that life. The other, more unsavory body part rids us of the toxins in our body. Without that last body part, we would die of poisoning.  God created each body part with a special purpose and each is needed to help us to live life to the fullest and in health. Jesus sees them with so much purpose because he created them with special giftings just as he did you and me. And while we might be an arm, a leg, eyes or the heart of the body - this person might have the potential to create a whole new body!

We must go beyond ourselves and reach out in love to the very least of these...we are all important to the body and we must love, love, love...piercings, warts, and all.  And isn't it just like God to then lead Paul into ending chapter 12 by introducing us to chapter 13, the chapter of love?

 The challenge for us all, today, is... find that "special someone" in your area of influence and send them a card, buy them a cup of coffee...do something to show the love of Jesus because condemnation and judgement never won anyone to Christ, Amen?

And do let me know how you did! I will let you know how I did.


Forever in His debt,



4 friends said...:

  1. WOW MONICA...YOUR MESSAGE IS REALLY DEEP AND BEAUTIFUL....WHEN I SAW THOSE PICTURES THIS IS MY HONEST TO GOD THOUGHTS.

    1. THIS PERSON REMINDS OF MY FATHER...HE DIED HOMELESS AND IN THE STREETS. I FELT ONLY PITY AND WISH I COULD HELP.

    2. I FELT SORRY FOR THESE YOUNG GIRLS BECAUSE I TOO HAVE A YOUNG DAUGHTER WHO HAS MORE TATOOES THAN HER BODY CAN TAKE. THESE YOUNG GIRLS ARE PROBABLY SMART, STRAIGHT A STUDENTS WHO JUST NEED A LITTLE DIRECTION...MY DAUGHTER IS SMART ALSO, BUT REFUSES TO TAKE DIRECTION.

    3. I ALSO SYMPATHIZED WITH THIS PERSON. BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE...NOT AS BIG BUT I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LOSE WEIGHT...I ALSO KNOW WHAT DEPRESSION CAN DO TO SOMEONE WHO FEELS ALONE...FOOD CAN BE A COMFORT.

    I ALWAYS PRAY THAT GOD GIVES ME A HEART OF LOVE, COMPASSION AND I HAVE LEARNED FROM THE LORD THAT WHAT COUNTS IS THE INSIDE.

    MANY CHRISTIANS LACK THE "FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT"

    THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickey,
    Shortly after I posted this, I have the opportunity to love on one of those teenage girls similar to the one pictured. It was easy and it felt good.

    I grabbed your button, BTW. And I love that Paris card! I think I'd like to buy one for my niece. Do you sell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Christine. It is quite 'convicting" for me. And it is a daily reminder...that I need to walk in this every chance I get. Blessings to you!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...