Saturday, February 6, 2010

Autoimmune Urticaria Dermatographism Part III


As you know from my previous post, I was waiting for the results of my test. I was very anxious about it.  Luckily, I had our first homeschool field trip to take my mind off of the results for a while.

We went to Williamsburg, VA where they were having their homeschool week, which is such a bargain, that you can't help but go. And since our youngest is only in kindergarten, he appreciates the learning experience. Our thirteen year old who has been several times..not so much, but it was better than staying home and doing work. For him it was a boondoggle.

While we were experiencing the fife and drums on Gloucester Street I received the phone call from the doctor's office. The results were that I did have AUD. My TPO level was 529. Yes, that is five hundred twenty-nine.The normal level is between 0-34.  A little outrageous,huh?!  My TSA levels were normal. They were 2.14; the normal range is 0.450-4.50. Basically, my body is fighting itself and that is what the results were. No lupus - Bless God for that!
She said that it would be prudent to have my thyroid checked every six months because a reading like that could lead to hypothyroidism. Oh, great I thought!  Not only am I going to be battling itchy hives, but I'll be battling my weight too...not that I'm my ideal weight, but I'll just be fighting harder. The nurse said that was about all she could tell me and that I could ask more questions at my follow up appointment. She confirmed my follow up appointment with CNP J. and told me that I could ask her all the questions I wanted then.

I have to admit that I went home a little overwhelmed at the test results, but I had to remind myself that I didn't have lupus, it was nothing fatal and that I should not borrow trouble until I spoke with the NP.

When I arrived for my appointment, I was greeted with enthusiasm by the CNP. She told me that she and the doctor were both excited about my test results because it actually proved what many of the allergist believed about the AUD but could not prove. I tell you she was delighted to have me as a patient.


Well, she reiterated the need to watch my thyroid and have it tested but she felt that once a year should be sufficient. She said that it was very important that my GP (general practitioner) test it regularly because if the thyroid levels start changing it's important that I get put on medication quickly. 

I asked her if it was possible that the AUD could have been triggered because I was entering my "year of jubilee" (as a blogger I follow so quaintly put it). She said it was quite possible. I told her that I was having power surges (hot flashes), I felt like my blood was literally boiling, that I had trouble sleeping (like I was having anxiety attacks). She told me that it sounded as if I was entering my year of jubilee and said that my hives could have been triggered by it.

I also told her that I had been "googling" this issue and became a little overwhelmed by all the other horrible diseases that it could be related to and she told me to stop doing that. My darling husband told me to do that too and I had...but I'd have moments of temptations..and I'd google. And I'd get frightened all over again. I did find a women's care sight located in Vermont and I spoke to one of those nurses and she said that they recently had a woman come in with the same thing. She went on a Candida diet and it went away. I asked CNP J. what her thoughts were on that diet. She was very encouraging and told me it would not hurt to try it. I told her I did try for a while but had a hard time because I found that I love all things "moldy"...she laughed. She said she did too. Bread, cheese...we agreed that it was all good. She said that going to a nutritionist was an avenue that I might like to try and she gave me two referrals.

Another problem that I told her about was the dosage on the Allegra. I felt that it was too high because I was having a lot of stomach problems...severe stomach pain. I asked her if there was anything else I could take.  She said I could try the Zyrtec and see how that worked for me. It might be helpful with my insomnia problem as well. She said that it was important that I take the medicine at the same time every day ...or night...whatever I decided. She also gave me a prescription for Omeprozole for my stomach. I told her that I had also made an appt with my OB/GYN and my GP and she thought that was a good idea.

She told me that I absolutely should not be so very preoccupied by this condition. She said that lots of people have it. It was something that I was born with and that it has chosen to manifest itself with a fury at this time in my life. She told me to come back after I had visited both of the other doctors and we would talk more.


I left feeling better...more hopeful. I will write again about my other two visits and my last visit with CNP J. I really was pleased with my visit with her and will probably stick with her ...because I know that Dr. B will be there too.

I won't wait so long to write again. In fact, I'll write again tomorrow. It snowed like a fury here today...and we will be inside all day tomorrow because I don't think the car will go anywhere. The snow is too high. I am enjoying it though.


Until then...be blessed.

Warmly,

0 friends said...:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...