Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pumpkin Nut Bread

This is one of my favorite things to do with my pumpkin puree (I make my own out of pumpkins). Courtesy of Victoria "The Charms of Tea" Reminiscences and Recipes.

Yield: Two 9-inch loaves

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened - I use unsalted
2 cups packed dark-brown sugar
4 eggs
1 16-ounce can pumpkin puree, or 2 cups fresh pumpkin, cooked, and mashed
1/3 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour - I use unbleached
2 cups of whole-wheat pastry flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups toasted slivered almonds or chopped walnuts (I don't use either)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Butter two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. (I spray with Pam)
2. In the large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar at medium speed until the mixture is fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Beat in the eggs, then the pumpkin and molasses. The mixture will look curdled. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients except the nuts.
4. With the mixer set at low, gradually beat the dry mixture into the pumpkin mixture, just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
5. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
6. Cool the bread in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the loaves from the pans and let them cool completely on the racks.

The aroma in the house when this is baking is fantastic!

0 friends said...:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...