Sunday, November 23, 2008

New Beginnings


The picture you see is typical of a morning that will bring a warm and humid day. I have come to love living here in Virginia although, admittedly, it took some time. I appreciate the unspoiled countryside you find after five to ten minutes of driving. I appreciate that a little “getaway” for quiet and solitude is just a short distance away.I love the history that is here. And as a homeschooling mom, making school fun and making history come alive really changes the way your “students” learn.

I am grateful beyond words that Virginia is a conservative and homeschool friendly state. It is such a blessing to be able to walk to your nearby library and find Christian literature.We may not have all the latest and greatest technology and daily living “accoutrements” that you can find in Silicon Valley, but it is getting better. The technology is growing and the new stores are arriving with their “accoutrements” but none of that compares to the blessing of living in a state that by and large still holds conservative values and where God is still welcome.

When we arrived here, I had certain plans for our new life, but God had others. “You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.” Proverbs 19:21 NLT. Although I was frustrated at first, I knew that this was where God had planted me, so I had to be obedient and let Him direct my steps. Yes, His plans did prevail to be sure, but in the obedience, came the blessings of lifelong secret desires. “For I know the plans I have for you, ” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future, and a hope.” Jer. 29:11. The obedience was not easy though. I did what I was supposed to do, but in my heart I was troubled about the unrealized dream that I would now have.

One very emotional day, I sulked and cried about my plans that were now on hold, but even in my emotional state, I managed to cry out to the Lord, “God, help me to be grateful for your plan.” I sat, waiting and His Spirit said to me. “My dear child, did you not cry your eyes out in 1992 and again in 1996 because you had to go back to work when you longed to be at home with your newborns? Did you not secretly wish that you could homeschool Felicia from the start? When that did not happen for you, did you not secretly wish and hope with fervent prayer that you could find a way to be home by the time she was in middle school? Shall I go on and remind you of the godly husband that I have blessed you with and that you longed for all your life? I have given you the secret desires of your heart and you are doing nothing but grumbling, murmuring, and complaining.” I could only get on my knees and cry with shame and repent for my selfishness. After repenting, I began to praise Him and thank Him for His goodness and mercies. All this time, I thought He forgot about me and that my secret desires of long ago were never heard.

My dreams of going back to school have not died. I know that some day and some way, He will make a way. But right now, God has called me elsewhere -He has called me home. I have a greater commission and that is to make sure that my children are raised on a sure foundation. My commission is to make sure that they are raised in the fear and admonition of the Lord. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” Proverbs 9:10. It is not enough to fear the Lord though, it is just as important to love Him with all of your heart, soul and might (Deut 6:5).
We need to remember and understand how much He loves us, how precious we are to our Heavenly Father, and all that His son did for us to give us the gift of eternal life.

It has now been five years since I have “come home.” Our life here in Virginia is good. It is not always easy, but it is good because God is good. We must grow where we are planted and so it shall be…like trees firmly planted by the streams of water (Psalm 1:3).

0 friends said...:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...